Sunday, 12 May 2013

you may say i'm a dreamer ...



This post is just me day dreaming about the perfect job. I know it takes a lot of hard work and talent to get where you want to be, but for fun I thought I'd share with you my dream career ...


Do you have your dream job? I rarely hear anyone say 'I love my job' and those who do seem to be the lucky ones. I always thought about what my dream job would be when I was younger, an interior designer, a Zoo keeper and a Shoe Designer to name but a few. 
I have just finished watching The Carrie Diaries, where a young Carrie Bradshaw stumbles into an intern job at Interview magazine. I know it is fiction, but I can't help wishing my life was like that. I have watched The Devil Wears Prada so many times. I watch even though I know what happens, as Anne Hathaway's character goes from a frumpy duckling to a successful Chanel wearing swan.    
Lauren Conrad and Whitney Port worked at Teen Vogue during the earlier episodes of The Hills. I loved seeing them work on a fashion shoot, as they steamed the clothes and organised everything to be ready for stylists (I remember they were not so impressed though!). I know the image I have of working for a magazine or designer may be thought to be more perfect than it is, but those who do must love their jobs surely?                                                                                                 

I took Media Studies for Alevel and for a Degree (I must have enjoyed it), and one topic that really stood out for me was Advertising. I would love to be part of the teams that come up with the campaigns for designers and brands. In magazines such as Vogue and Elle, every other page is an advertisement, beautifully photographed and thought out, (Do you tear these images out like me?)
It is these beautiful images that excite me. The composition and ideas behind the images is something I would love to learn more about. The power of the media to influence and push boundaries is something that can be positive and some times negative. There have been many iconic images, especially for women, that have highlighted positive changes in society. I know it's not all empowering, fashion adverts tend to feature under weight models and use sex to sell their products and lifestyles. However, it is a form of art. I would love to be part of the creative team behind an advert, and to see how an initial idea is transformed into a glossy advert.
Wow, this is alot of day dreaming!






Above;
Marc Jacob's advert featuring Dakota Fanning, was banned for being too 'sexually provocative'. The actress posed with a large bottle of 'Oh Lola' perfume between her legs, and along with how young the actress looked, it caused some offence and received many complaints.

The 'Benetton 'Unhate' campaign caused some controversy. The photoshopped images of President Obama and other world leaders kissing sent out a strong message. Although it had nothing to do with clothing, Benetton campaigns are known to highlight issues such as tolerance to try and combat hatred in society.

Marks and Spencer's featured Seb White, a young boy with Down's Syndrome and made history by being the first model with a learning disability to feature in a TV advertisement for a major brand.  

Hope you have enjoyed my post. I currently work at Next and I am very content working in retail. I was out of work for a while, my anxiety held me back and I was unable to work. So I am, now, just grateful to have a job and to work with some great people. However, this doesn't stop a girl from dreaming ...

What is your dream career? Are you on your way to having that job? I would love to hear from you, please do leave a comment and I will reply to them on your blog  :)

13 comments:

  1. My dream job is to be a dressmaker/fashion designer. I started getting on the right path but then I just took myself off that path. I'm itching to get back on it though!
    Katherine x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in my dream job! I am a fashion consultant and I love it! So much fun doing what I love and making people look good!

    Rebecca
    www.winnipegstyle.ca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! shall we follow let me know xse
    www.supongoestilo.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kinda work in my dream role as a personal stylist. It's a really rewarding job and doesn't seem like work at times. But there are lots of things you have to do to keep things ticking over. It's not easy, but then anything worth having in life isn't and you have to work hard for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always thought I'd be a zoo keeper, too, haha! My dream job would be an author. I always liked the glamorous magazine scene, too, but I feel like in the end it'd start getting stressful since it's still an office-type setting. I rather work for me ;)

    xo Marlen
    Messages on a Napkin

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's hard to say what my dream job is. I've been quite lucky the last year or so to have a job relevant to my degree. It hasn't been ideal, and I am moving on to better things soon, but no job in this world is easy no matter how amazing you fantasize it to be! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dream was to be an author, and now I'm a fashion and beauty journalist, so I'm happy that at least the writing part of my childhood dream came true! I recently interned at Vogue, which was amazing to see how a magazine like that runs!

    http://lipstickedlouise.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is such a great post! I'm thinking about doing a B.A and majoring in media
    i'm following you back on bloglovin :)
    xx
    http://anoddgirl.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a cute post!! Thanks for the visit on my page xx

    www.itslilylocket.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. My dream job is to become a Travel Journalist and that's why I'm blogging. I've watched far too much of The Devil Wears Prada too (have you read the book?)

    Thanks for the visit to my blog!

    Jess xx

    www.mismatchedknitwear.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm, haven't quite figured out my dream career just yet- it's a work in progress. :)

    But seeing these pics of Lauren and Whitney makes me super nostalgic for The Hills- that show used to be my jam!

    -Ashley
    http://lestylorouge.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE the carrie diaries, she always wears the cutest things too. I can't wait til it starts again!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this blog post! I personally haven't spotted any blog posts talking about their dream job, so this was definitely an interesting read.

    I'm currently in the middle of watching the first season of The Carrie Diaries! I highly doubt an editor of well renowned "Interview" magazine, would rely on Carrie, a then 16 year old girl, but nevertheless I find the show completely fascinating! I've wanted to work in fashion for as long as I can remember, and watching this show has really motivated me to apply for internships and work hard at what I do!

    Anyway I hope you get to where you want to be in life! I'm sure you will, especially if you want to work in advertising. You can tell you're a very visual person by your fantastic layouts and presentation!
    Bekki / www.inguz-fashion.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete