Thursday, 20 June 2013

A photograph.

What I like about photographs is that they capture a moment that’s gone forever, impossible to reproduce. ― Karl Lagerfeld

Cute Dress!

The other day, I was going through an old suitcase in my house, that was bursting with old photographs of our family. Some of these pictures were very very old. I love the quality and look of old developed pictures. There were so many occasions and moments captured, I was interested in finding out the story behind them.

A picture is worth a thousand words, is a phrase that is commonly used, when a picture evokes emotions or memories. The picture (above) is of my mum and dad, when they were young, looking happy and carefree.
When I asked my Dad to tell me about this picture, he told a lovely little story. It was their first camping trip together, before they were married. After packing up and driving a mile or so down the road, my dad commented to my mum that no one came to collect the money for their pitch, and so he had not paid. I know many young couples would see a free stay at a camp-site as a bonus to their trip. However, my dad went on to say, he remembered how my mum said this would be dishonest and insisted he turned the car around and pay. He went on say it was a quality that he admired in her. Cute Story!

Today, we have filters and apps to turn pictures into vintage snaps. It seems that our lives are being documented through instagram, facebook etc, but how many of us get our photographs developed any more? The suitcase of photographs, was a treasure chest of memories, and had been kept in such good condition by my nan and mum. I am so grateful that these memories have been preserved and passed on, so that I am able to appreciate them too.

I'm a big fan of instagram and I upload pictures quite often. I would have no idea where to get these developed. However, Jess from Mismatched Knitwear is in the know. Jess posted some great links to companies that do just this.  I plan on creating a little album of all my favourite photographs and memories, so, in years to come I will have my own 'suitcase' of photographs to share. 

Hope you have enjoyed reading. 
Do you get your pictures developed? When was the last time you did?
xxxx

9 comments:

  1. Lovely blog! And great story! :) XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had pictures developed in years , love your dads memory on the picture .

    Meghan Silva's Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I havent done it in ages but we do have a film camera here in the house; we've taken a photo of everyone whose visited us, and the film still has some shots left! Will be great when its time to develop it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely story about your parents :)
    Is it really bad that I can't remember the last time I got photos developed? =( It's such a shame cos I love looking through our old family photo albums xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous post...My housemates have books made of their photos on special occasions such as their anniversaries. We have cardboard boxes full of photos dating back a few generations. so lovely to look through!

    Katie <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, I really enjoyed this post! That was such a beautiful story about your parents :)

    I try to have my prints ordered regularly (from Snapfish) but my instagram prints have still gone un-developed. I need to get on this! I don't want my prints to stay trapped on my computer forever. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous pictures! I never bothered getting my photographs developed until my laptop crashed a few years ago and I lost years worth of photographs from when my son was small. Ever since then, I back up all my photos once a month in private albums online and I use artscow.com or photobox.ie to print 100-200 in one go x

    ReplyDelete
  8. aw I love this post, is so true, people rarely print pics anymore with facebook etc, but I always try to print off pictures, I think they make really good presents when you print off pictures and make a homemade book or something, looking back on pics and hearing about the story behind it is so much fun..

    ReplyDelete