Sunday, 28 July 2013

the bigger, the better ...



Inspiration.

It is a dream of mine to have a walk in wardrobe, full of dresses and endless outfit options. I think it's fair to say most of us have had 'I have nothing to wear' moments, where everything you own won't do. I had a birthday to celebrate this weekend, and again, I could not decide what to wear, and thought 'if only I had bought a new dress'. This is not a purse-friendly way of thinking. However, I do think it's smart to invest in some pieces, ones that can be worn everyday, and dressed up for an evening out.

I do love the relaxed style of the smock dress. I know some would say smocks are shapeless, tent-like and unflattering, but I do like the floaty and oversized look. The White Pepper collection is an example of how this style can be designed to be the perfect fashion garment. The White Pepper dresses 'are original, eye-catching and easy-to-wear'. These dresses have become a popular purchase among some bloggers, and it is easy to see why.


Recently, Kate Bosworth wore a Topshop check smock, and Kate (featured in Topshop Festival Edit ) looked cool and on trend in this dress. (A quick fact, smocks were originally worn my men, whilst working as a protective layer, to keep their clothes clean). 


As you can see above, I have chosen another Alexa Chung picture. Alexa and fashion go hand in hand (in my opinion). I adore Alexa's style and the bohemian feel to her look. A style that looks so effortlessly put together, she often wears smock style dresses.

There are a number of lovely smock dresses on Asos, like this one. This style can be worn day or night, and would transcend from summer to winter. An ideal reason to go ahead with a purchase? Another, would be that smocks are easy to style and wear. I could wear my pumps, chunky boots, or even my converse with this dress and feel comfortable.

I think a smock dress would be that item of clothing, that I could reach for and style accordingly. It would be an investment piece that I could wear time and time again. Smock dresses may not be for everyone, however, for me it's the ideal dress right now. I only wish I had a wardrobe full of them ...





I hope you have enjoyed reading. Please check out the links that are in blue (some of my favourite smocks that are available at the moment). What style dress do you love?
xxxx

25 comments:

  1. I'm a fan of smock dresses too and there's plenty of fabric to hide your stomach if you've over indulged! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted a walk in closet. Unfortunately I have maybe a 4-foot wide closet right now so I have to get creative with storage.

    Lexi
    http://rhinestonereligion.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. same, hopefully we will have a walk in closet one day like carrie! :-)

      Delete
  3. I always think they look cute but I don't think it will suit my body shape at all :(

    Lauren
    livinginaboxx
    bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you should try one on :-) and see. I wasn't keen on pinafores now I love them x

      Delete
  4. Smocks are my favourite. Tops or dresses! Definitely need more in my wardrobe.
    Issy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had more dresses lol :-) thank you for the comment x

      Delete
  5. Gah, I had this exact feeling of "I have nothing to wear...I need new dresses!" this past weekend. I want cute summer floral dresses!

    Sincerely,
    Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. lol, me too! plus they can be worn in the winter with tights. Thanks for the comment Sabrina x

      Delete
  6. I DREAM of having a walk in closet - how amazing would that be?!
    I like smock dresses because they're so flowy and cooling (: Except maybe not TOO oversized because I feel it'll drown my figure (:

    The Craziest Paradigm - a 'lil bit of rust & stardust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. agreed, it would be a dream to have a walk in closet :-) thanks for the comment x

      Delete
  7. I wish I could pull off a smock dress! Love the look of them though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are really comfortable, thanks for the comment lois :-)

      Delete
  8. A walk in wardrobe would be amazing, I would very much like one too, one day! I also love smock dresses, I don't think they would suit me at all though but I love how they look on other people! <3

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw you should try one one and see! I'm sure it would. Thanks for the comment x

      Delete
  9. I love the aesthetics of this post, so pretty to look at!

    Gosh, don't we all dream about a walk in wardrobe! I have so many clothes and if I could see them all laid out in a walk in wardrobe I'm sure all my "I HAVE NOTHING TO WEARRRRRR" moments would be over.

    I love the cat print smock, that's ace xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a nice comment emily! :-) Thank you x

      Delete
  10. Ahh amazing...! I would adore a walk in wardrobe too..or even better like in that picture, a whole ROOM full of clothes, shoes and bags - heaven! Perhaps I could convert the nursery into one before I start putting all the furniture in there..he will be a boy after all he doesn't need the space hehe ;) xx

    http://modemadeleine.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw i'm sure he will end up with just as many clothes as his mum. :-) Hope your well x

      Delete
  11. I love love love this post like ahhh! Your posts are always so relate-able and you always seem to blog about things that have been on my mind! Crazy! Anyway i'd love a walk in wardrobe such a dream! Im also going to invest in a smock dress i adore them at the moment! Thank you for your comment lovely!! x

    http://www.heldtogetherbypins.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Paige. I really enjoyed your first youtube vid. xx

      Delete
  12. I love the middle smock at the top of the post, next to Alexa Chung! So beautiful! I keep buying dresses at the moment, it's an issue! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A room full of dresses would honestly be a lot of fun!!

    The Random Writings of Rachel

    ReplyDelete