Sunday, 18 August 2013

Cut & Paste

Cut & Paste, 21st Century Collage, was published by Laurence King, and boasts over 250 creative images. The image of the dog with a light socket as a head (below), is by French illustrator and artist Serge Bloch, and it sets the tone for the book perfectly.
It takes a look at different artists that take a traditional approach to art. Collages are authentic in technique and in ways of creating images. In this digital age, it is unavoidable that images are being produced by multi media. This book focuses on progressive and imaginative concepts, that use magazines, photographs, illustrations and street art (just to name a few). It takes a closer look at contemporary collages, those that have character and understanding. The versatility and compositions are striking to the eye. This book shows off some very individual and innovative styles, and the collages speak for themselves.

My new source of inspiration 

Julian House's collages have featured on many album covers.
Mark Lazenby - making something beautiful from something unimportant


Andy Ducett's collages (above) have a nostalgic feel to them. These retro-style images show how 'two or more materials can come together and make new meaning without necessarily erasing their original intent'.

The book also features James Dowe's 'subversive and surreal' photomontages. I love how his choices seem random and unrelated, yet when together 'fit together perfectly'. 
He comments, 'Collage also offers restrictions, as you have to make do with the imagery you find, can get your hands on - this is part of the beauty of it - the selectiveness.'


I recently discovered another collage artist on twitter, the lovely Emma Reay. She is very talented with mixed media, and her work is heavily inspired by Company Magazine (recently had a collage featured), a media that is very relatable. 
She says, 'I print over mistakes, accidents and things I find or receive. The imperfections give life to my work, I am forever adding to my mistakes to one day make a masterpiece.' 
Below, I have chosen my favourites from her impressive portfolio (see here)





This book has introduced me to new artists, and it is a pleasure to look through it and admire their work. It is clear to see that this form of imagery is still very much alive, and will continue to inspire. Before I started this blog, I used to spend my time making collages from magazines. There would normally be a theme, such as nature, fashion or colour. It was the fashion editorials, and adverts that usually caught my interest. I plan to start making collages again, as this book has reminded me how much I enjoyed it. 


I hope you have enjoyed reading. I would love to hear what inspires you?
xxxx

28 comments:

  1. Wow you write so well! - which is such a pleasure to read :)
    I used to love making collages.. When I did photography in college I used to fill my scrapbook with them and I felt it was the best way to express my love for pictures in a small colourful artistic jumble!

    http://right-up-my-street.blogspot.com

    Keep up the great work!


    Xxxx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bekki
      I really enjoy making colourful artistic jumble Lol x

      Delete
  2. I'm always intrigued by the thought or concept behind the collage or photomontage, because as you said they appear random at first glance but then you just get it and think, wow, that's clever.
    Definitely checking out Emma Reay! :)

    Danielle / danielletc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love her collages, so glad I got to put them on here. Yeah that was a quote from the book,such a great way to word it. :-) x

      Delete
  3. Hey Christina,

    Thanks for your comment on my blog. I'm always looking for new reads, so glad I have found yours, it looks great! I'm going to spend my night reading it :)

    My camera - I have three Lomo (film) cameras, an LC-Wide, a Sardina and a Supersampler but most of my latest posts have been with the LCwide. The instagram pics are all my shitty iPhone 4 haha. Would love to get properly into digital some day but it's just so expensive, even for a starter camera. Ugh.

    I'll see you on Bloglovin!

    Bas xx

    www.anythingbas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, also - love these collages in a crazy way !

      Delete
    2. me too! Thanks for getting back to me, i just love the effect you use for your photographs it looks so cool x

      Delete
  4. I loved books like this when i was back at college and uni, i find books like this so inspiring! I haven't treated myself to a book in ages, I'll have to check this out on Amazon! (Thanks for your comment on my blog, lovely girly! You're always so nice! Did the video work? Trying to work out if i should embed via videofyMe or youtube) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The love that you have added videos to your outfit post, brings the pictures to life. I say, put them up on Youtube :-)

      Delete
  5. This is fab! I love finding books like this in my uni library, I could honestly get lost looking at these for hours! x

    The Little Things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I love that i can just sit and go through this book and enjoy the collages x

      Delete
  6. Your posts are always so lovely : ) I used to make scrapbooks when I younger. This book looks amazing, so inspirational! I read magazines for inspiration, but I think other bloggers are my main source of inspiration, seeing their beautiful pictures, and reading all about the products they like, that's what keeps me blogging : )

    PS; Thank you so much for all your kind words, they mean a heck of a lot to me
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! it's okay, I really enjoy your blog so glad you're back blogging. x

      Delete
  7. What an interesting book! I love exploring around innovation and creativity. I've noted down some of these names, will check them out when I need a bit of creative inspiration :P

    Beauty from the Fjord x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you should, I'm def going to look for more online. Thanks for the comment x

      Delete
  8. These images are stunning! I love books like this, such eye candy! I love the collage with the moon and the camera especially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put up my favs, so I'm glad you like :-)

      Delete
  9. I honestly love collage art so much, it's so appealing to look at for some reason! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know there are so many in this book, it's brill having it x

      Delete
  10. This book looks so interesting! The collages are stunning and really, really clever. Love it!

    You have a lovely blog, new follower over here! Can't wait to see more posts xx

    www.poptartsbeauty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I have popped over and said hello! x

      Delete
  11. This looks so inspiring and aesthetically pleasing! I love collage art and these in particular look really great. Thank you for posting about this book and drawing my attention to it!

    Christina | Passion Obsession

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have the same name and initial! :-) I will pop over and say hello x

      Delete
  12. Wow what an incredible book! I'm usually inspired by all kinds of things! I just came across your blog & I'm very happy that I did!
    x Leah Symonne x

    itsleli.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leah, so glad you like! :-) I will pop over to yours and say hello!

      Delete