Friday, 15 November 2013

An Education


Fashion_film_60s
fashion_retro_vintage


An Education, staring Carey Mulligan and Peter Sarsgaard (A Single Man), is a coming of age film set in 1960's suburban England. Mulligan plays Jenny Mellor, an intelligent school girl, studying to go to Oxford. It is uncertain if this is her dream or her father's ambition for her, to better her life and marry well. Jenny is only sixteen, but seems older than her years, with a unique appreciation of music, the arts and a love for everything french.
Jenny meets a charming, older man, David, on her way home from school one day. It is not long until she becomes enthralled in David's exciting lifestyle, attending bars and auctions. It is everything she has dreamed and romanticised about. He shrewdly charms her parents to allow him to take Jenny to Paris.
During the film, Carey's character goes from a dowdy school girl, to a glamorous young woman. Carey has an Audrey Hepburn elegance to her, especially in the Paris scenes.
There are a few moments, when David's life isn't quite all it seems. However, losing interest in school and Oxford, Jenny decides, being engaged to David is what she wants. Jenny's father is somewhat quick to marry his daughter off, and also forget all about Oxford. Why would she need to go, now she has met a man who can take care of her? On the way to celebrate the engagement, Jenny learns some home truths about David.
This film is a favourite of mine, for many reasons. Carey Mulligan is equally beautiful as she is talented, and always chooses great film roles. I have created a little collage of her looks from the film, and have chosen some pieces, inspired by Jenny's outfits. During the film Jenny's style evolves, from being a plain Jane, to wearing elegant frocks and feminine shapes. I just adore the gold and black embellished, velvet dress from Dahlia, shown above. It has a vintage feel, with beautiful gold detail - perfect for an evening out. I  have had my eye on the Topshop Lace dress, above, for some time. The over lay and print on the dress, gives it a modern twist on the 60's look. Peaches over at Style Peaches styled this dress perfectly! I have also chosen some accessories, inspired by the film, that would be ideal to dress up an outfit.

Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoyed. Have you seen An Education?

xxxx



50 comments:

  1. I loved this post :) I've not seen the film but I know will be ASAP! I love the style of the 60s and think I'm going to love the film. Thank you :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen the film but I definitely want to it sounds really good. I love love love that green dress it's beautiful!
    xxx

    www.salted-roses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too, it would look gorgeous on you x

      Delete
  3. I've been wanting to see this for ageeees! Will definitely have to now! I love how you do the pictures in your posts so so much - you must teach me! xxxxx

    http://fillmylittleworld.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you. I use ipiccy, it's free and easy. If you need any help just ask :-)

      Delete
  4. Oh yes I have seen an Education and I love it. I also really love her in Never Let Me Go...even though that book and movie creep me out because of the disturbing and bizarre premise. She's so talented and so gorgeous. I loved her spread in Vogue this year while promoting Gatsby. She's so amazing!

    xoxo
    Kelly
    www.dreaminlace.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That film is so bizarre, I just want them to run away!! lol x

      Delete
  5. I seen this in the cinema, great film. Love that green lace dress
    Lauren
    livinginaboxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember seeing this film in the cinema a while back, I'd like to rewatch it though. That black and gold dress is so beautiful! I'm just on the website now, some gorgeous things on there! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the style of dresses on there ><

      Delete
  7. This film has to be one of my all time favorites! xx

    http://putmeinapartydress.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. i haven't seen it before but really want to watch it now!!!
    xx
    http://anoddgirl.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a fun post - makes me want to watch the movie! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't seen this film but I think this post has convinced me to watch it! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. An Education is one of my favourite films!! Love this post xx

    Essie | The Li'l Sparrow

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw that green dress in Topshop recently and fell a little bit in love but was broke so didn't get it :( Love this post though, love the book & film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not read the book, I really should of before watching the film x

      Delete
  13. Well now I know which movie I'm watching tonight! Wonderful post, thank you for sharing this. :)
    - Pihla, So Much Story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, hope you enjoyed the film x

      Delete
  14. I haven't seen an education but I am really curious now & want to watch it :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is one of my favourite films mostly for the era and clothing! That hat is adorable! I may just have to treat myself! You are one stylish lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's the film that is stylish though ;)

      Delete
  16. Such an inspirational post! I enjoyed reading it :) I love your blog, too!
    Would you like to follow each other via GFC and Bloglovin? If you would, just follow me and leave a comment on my blog, so that I can follow you back :)
    Tina from the Style Sinners
    Twitter - @TinaStefanovic
    Instagram - @tina_stefanovic
    http://tinasstylesinners.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I will pop over and say hello x

      Delete
  17. I'm going to watch it someday :)

    Kisses from Poland!
    http://youcallmereckless.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't seen the film but it sounds wonderful and I love Carey Mulligan! The beaded pouch is beautiful! <3

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carey Mulligan is so pretty and seems so lovely! :-)

      Delete
  19. I love the film but I can't help but always get really frustrated by Jenny's naivety. I still continue to watch it though! I love the Topshop dress! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Carey plays the role so well though x

      Delete
  20. I love this 60s style, it's so glamorous.

    P.xx
    GreyWalls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, all those beautiful prints and shapes! x

      Delete
  21. I love this film too! Carey is just stunning in it, I think Rosamund Pike looked amazing too xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. I haven't seen it buy I love CM, she's so beautiful. What a lovely inspiration board! <3

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ahh isn't she such a beautiful actress! I have never seen this film, but I definitely want to now.. I'm a big film buff!
    If you like the glamour and dressing up of this film you should definitely watch Great Gatsby? I'm going to watch it during the day tomorrow now.
    Lovely original post :)

    xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I neeeed to see the Great Gatsby! I feel like i'm the only person who hasn't watched it x

      Delete
  24. love these photos, very inspire me indeed xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. I loved this film and always love the styling from that period x

    ReplyDelete
  26. your layout, and whole blog is stunning. xo
    unwrittenhollywood.com

    ReplyDelete