Sunday, 15 December 2013

THREE TURTLE NECKS

 photo Fotor1214205251_zps4a481604.jpg  photo Fotor1214211437_zps727601eb.jpg

CHECKED SHIRT /FAUX LEATHER STUDIO TOP SILK AND COTTON SWEATER


I wish I was better organised, so I could have planned out the twelve days of Christmas, fashion inspired posts. I started randomly, with the Five Golden Rings Gifts, so let's jump to Three Turtle Doves Necks.
This is a style that some dislike, others love! It's a style that has graced the covers of Vogue. Whilst searching pinterest, I came across some beautiful editorial shots. The high roll neck is a classic and chic item, and I automatically think of Audrey Hepburn wearing one.
I have chosen to share three ways to wear a turtle neck this winter. I was mainly inspired by the Zara Autumn/Winter collection, and the Zara Look book styles this piece in a number of ways.

One. A turtle neck can be a staple part of your wardrobe. It can be worn with tartan/printed trousers, as above, for a simple and stylish look.

Two. Now it's colder, we are more inclined to cover up. A turtle neck can transform an evening look, and create a modern, and some what practical outfit. The Zara lingerie style dress, for example, can be worn over a turtle neck, as Amy from Salted Roses did here. In outfit two, above, Zara have also mixed textures, another great way of styling a roll neck.

Three. Layers,layers, layers! Do we ever wear enough layers? I love to wear numerous layers, so the turtle-neck is ideal for adding another to an outfit, and a new shape with the high neck line. It can be be worn under shirts and jumpers, for a cosy and fun look.

Fun Fact - The name Turtle neck came from the eccentric, Swedish tailor and turtle lover, Gerhard Thorn. He used to take his turtles for walks in the evenings, and he created the turtle neck for his turtle, to keep them from freezing during winter walks. After his death, the patent was then expanded and designed for humans, by his son.

This has been a fun post to do, and I hope you have enjoyed. Do you have a turtle neck / roll neck in your winter wardrobe? 
xxxx

32 comments:

  1. I have one chunky roll neck jumper from Next! I like them, I had tons 10 years ago so it took me a while to embrace them again but now I'm all for it. Tara xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next do great roll necks and knits :-)

      Delete
  2. I absolutely adore turtlenecks (although I have a tendancy to call them polo necks, which I think is a sign of my age!), although currently only have one, and it's pretty thin, not of the chunky, keep-myself-warm variety! My boy just got one too, to wear underneath and blazer, and it pulls it off rather wonderfully!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do look rather lovely on men hehe! X

      Delete
  3. Love how you've display the products here :) xx
    www.allthingsbeautiful-x.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love turtle necks! Keep me warm, haha. I am yet to find one for this winter though, might have to pop into Zara then ;-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do, Zara have plenty of choice :-)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love turtle necks they are so cosy in winter and perfect under jumpers which are a little rough on the skin :) Gisforgingers xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. i feel like my wardrobe is really missing a turtleneck! You're right, they look so perfect layered over lacy lingerie dresses. Found your blog via the #lbloggers chat and followed you on bloglovin!
    lily x
    www.jolihouse.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, following your lovely blog too x

      Delete
  8. They are so classic, I can't wear them though don't suit my shape unfortunately
    Lauren
    livinginaboxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. They always look so cosy, they really don't suit me but I love how they look on other people! <3

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so cosy, and great to layer! :-)

      Delete
  10. I love the look, just don't think it suits me personally (Annoyingly). They look so cosy and elegant though x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple of people have said this, you should give it another go. bet it would look nice x

      Delete
  11. I do love a turtle neck but they never look right on me, I end up looking a bit too middle aged (and I'm definitely NOT that yet!!)
    I also love a fact, the turtle one's the best one I've heard in a while.
    M x Life Outside London

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love turtle necks, and Zara are just too good this season. Can't go in unless I know I have money to buy something! B x

    beabopsstylediary.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, such pretty things in Zara! X

      Delete
  13. Love how you put these together - so cool and quirky! I just look fat in turtle necks though - stupid boobs.

    Katie <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe! I'm sure this is not true, but made me laugh x

      Delete
  14. Turtle necks don't get enough love but they are awesome! I really need to dig mine out! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Turtle necks I bloody can't get enough of them.. and polo necks.. seriously throw them all my way.
    Once again love the boho-indie vibe of your collages - my favourite.

    right-up-my-street.blogspot.com

    xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww becki, you always look fab in a turtle neck xx

      Delete
  16. ah, yes i love turtle necks! i love this collection of many thrown together, so inspiring!

    lindsey louise

    hellomrrabbitblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. And who said that turtle necks are ugly! Great post!

    Dash xx
    http://www.mode-lily.com/

    ReplyDelete